Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Auto-Incrementing Assembly and File version in Visual Studio

I made a post on this topic some time ago. I still find it incredible that Visual Studio (2005, 2008, 2010) doesn't provide a way to automatically increment the File Version number in an Assembly. Why is this important? To me, the Setup and Deployment project will not deliver a file if the file version is the same (even if the file is newer, different, etc.). It is very easy to forget to go manually update the assembly's File Version, and you don't find out about it until your users install the updated application and see no difference.

The method I posted before works fine, but it is a little complicated to setup and get going.

The new method I found is much easier to setup and use:

http://autobuildversion.codeplex.com/

No comments: