Friday, May 16, 2008

StartupPosition for MessageBox

Sometimes it seems that .NET has some obvious shortcomings. For example, all I want to do is have a MessageBox center in my application instead of the screen. This task shouldn't be that difficult; however, there is no way (that I have found) to set the StartPosition property for the MessageBox dialog. While there may be a functional and elegant solution to this problem (please post as a comment if you have one), the only solution I have found on the internet is to implement your own MessageBox class, and code it to do what you want. This isn't hard, but it doesn't seem like a lot of work for something so simple. Also, the Messagebox probably does more than you might first think. It does a lot of autosizing to hold whatever text you provide it.

Here is one implementation of a custom MessageBox I have found:

http://www.codeproject.com/KB/dialog/MessageBoxEx.aspx?fid=155440&df=90&mpp=25&noise=3&sort=Position&view=Quick&fr=76&select=1069708

I am sure there are more such implementations. Please post comments if you know of any.

No comments: